How to enhance Productivity? – For Retail Managers
Retail managers have a lot on their plate on any day. They have to work with a tight staff schedule, organize merchandise inventory, liaise with vendors, manage the day-to-day operations of the store, and much more. All of these responsibilities take their toll on any employee’s attention with little time to provide support for the teams they work with, which can lead to decreased productivity. Ignoring any of those factors would be a huge mistake, as they will most definitely impact your everyday decision-making at the store…including how to spend your own time! Below are five productivity techniques to further enhance your employees’ performance, from the retail managers themselves. engineered to improve performance.
1. Reward your employees appropriately, even if it’s outside of a normal compensation plan. Recognition is not only for employees who have been with the company a long time and have received a solid performance review. Your employees will work much harder when they know that you are watching and appreciating what they do and how they do it.
2. Stay Organised– To stay organized you need to create a system. Continue to create and test systems, unless you find the one that works best for you. However, this can be a lengthy process, to make it simple, you can use various tools to optimize your everyday tasks. Start by using the apps which would help you jot down your ideas. Create mind maps, and through intrinsic planning forecast the success rate of a system, before you implement it.
3. Set measurable goals – Start by asking your team, “where do you expect your sales to be from here?” and then let them know your expectations without over-promising. Make them believe that they are the only person who can make it happen. Place no limitations on the “job of every team member,” and set measurable goals with each team member that is within the team’s work plan, and within the established individual performance standards. Success is the ability to meet, or exceed, expectations!
4. Meet at least once a week with all teams- To define a strategy that you want to implement or check if the previously applied strategies are going on the right track team meetings are extremely important. During the meeting, summarise team and individual goals, link these goals to your organisation’s goals, talk about your team member’s expectations of the job overall, and list the activities required to reach the deadlines. Although many of your team may not be with you at this time, let everyone know that you have created a new team and by missing any of these meetings, all the above goals/activities will go unfulfilled. Moreover, make them aware that we will take the time to celebrate, once we meet our team goals. Recognize your team members’ efforts, and reward your team. It will motivate them to work and enhance their productivity.
5. Daily meeting of 10-15 minutes before starting the day- E-mail status updates would keep you intact with the overall status of the employee, his productivity, and all other major things. So make the daily meeting about your employees, not you, not the company, but about the people working for it, IEEE your team mates. I often suggest that the manager will apply this technique of meeting with the team members as if it was taking a brain tact, “How’s everyone doing?” You will be surprised at what you learn.
Follow these 5 productive managers’ tips each day and I am afraid you may find your employees more valued on your team as you feel as you develop a new level of respect. I can hear some of you saying, “You’re crazy. These people can’t or won’t listen.” However, try implementing these tips and the results would surprise you.
If you wish to get ahead in your career by pursuing a traditional degree. Here are the top colleges around the world that offers MBA in Retail Management.
- University of the Arts London – UK
- Webster University – Irvine – USA
- Universiti Tun Abdul Razak – Malaysia
- Tulane University- USA